Michigan man dead after pointing laser and opening fire at police helicopter in Detroit

Michigan State Police shot and killed a man who pointed a laser and fired a rifle at a police helicopter on Tuesday.

The incident happened around 8:30 p.m. when the helicopter circled around the north of downtown Detroit, according to police.

The 33-year-old man, whose name has not been released, had been staying in the abandoned home at the time of the shooting.

Two state troopers shot and killed the suspect, who recently moved into the home, according to a neighbor moments later.

In the video, the man emerged from the second-story window and pointed a green laser at the aircraft.

“We got somebody hitting us with a green laser on the rear of the house, upper window,” the helicopter pilot said. 

The moment the police helicopter noticed the laser being shined into the cockpit.
The moment the police helicopter noticed the laser being shined into the cockpit.
Michigan State Police via Storyful

Moments later, the man exited the house and aimed a “long gun” toward the hovering helicopter before opening fire.

“Now there’s somebody standing at the back door. Right now, they’re in the backyard,” the pilot said. “He actually might, he might be armed. He almost looks like he’s holding a long gun pointed at us right now. Yeah, he’s shooting at us right now. He’s firing rounds. He’s got a long gun, extended magazine.” 

Police recovered five firearms at the abandoned home, including the one the suspect had used to fire on the aircraft.

The shooter shooting at the helicopter.
Police have not yet named the 33-year-old suspect.
Michigan State Police via Storyful

“They found multiple weapons and ammunition stashes throughout the home as if it were set up for some type of ambush or security purposes or whatever,” Lt. Mike Shaw said according to Fox 2 Detroit.

The helicopter didn’t suffer any damage from the shooting.

The two state troopers who killed the shooter are only being identified as a two-year veteran and a nine-year veteran of the Michigan state police.

They are both on leave pending the outcome of the investigation.

With Post wires

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *